Morning chapel has been the focus of the start of the school day from St Mary’s foundation. Each day the headmistress would lead the service. In 1927, when Marcia Matthews was head of the school, the leaving girls gave a gift of a prayer book. In tooled leather with the lily crest on the cover, the book contains the school prayers written on parchment in illuminated writing. By the 1980s the prayer book was no longer in daily use but some of the prayers are still used today. In 1930 a matching book of general prayers was given to the school by the deputy headmistress, Miss Alexander. St Mary’s no longer has this book.